2017-04-21 09:00:00 CET
We beach volleyball players know what really happens behind-the-scenes - it’s not all glamorous beach bodies, tournaments held at exotic locations and sunshine; we go through the wringer #NoRegrets.
In spite of this, there isn’t anything else we would rather do. We’d take the worst days in beach volleyball over the best days in any other sport. In honour of ‘being on the inside’ / ‘close-knit-group’ - we’ve decided to share 12 things that you would only know if you’re a beach volleyball player.
1. Screaming and yelling is part of the game. Not just for the players, but also for the fans.
2. Getting sweaty and battered in sand is part of the fun. If you mind looking like “Crumbed Chicken”, this sport is not for you.
3. The awful sensation of sand in your mouth, eyes and nose. Sand everywhere. Remember: sand can be found all over your body. Inside and out…
4. The official FIVB match ball is a Mikasa Beach Champ VLS 300 AND we’re obsessed with it. Everything else is a no-no.
5. You’re only a real beach volleyball player if you’re taped in at least one spot. If you’re a real pro you wear multiple tapes in multiple colors.
6. How to draw a beach volleyball. It’s tricky. Try it.
7. The importance of a side out when you’re behind.
8. How effective a fake block can be. Fake it till you make it!
9. That the husband and wife zone is always a good spot to get the opposite team annoyed. Always.
10. That a Tomahawk is not only for Indians and a rainbow is not necessarily colorful and pretty… Chicken wings are neither food nor animal parts, just as cobra shots are not a fancy new party drink.
11. King and Queen of the beach is title to fight for. Over and over again.
12. And finally, you’re only a true beach volleyball player if you can pick up a beach volleyball with one hand and keep it there like it’s just a normal course of action (apparently not everyone can do this)
So, there you have it – the comprehensive list of things you’d only know if you’re a beach volleyball player – and did I mention sand everywhere? Like on the keyboard as I type…